computation-friendly kernels

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Thu Jan 8 21:17:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:16:17PM -0800, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
> Yes, I've just been doing some basic profiling with 'time program' using
> one specific multithreaded (Java-based) application with various input
> files. To be more exact, I only see the differences on the largest of
> these sample cases, less intensive runs show a smaller difference.

When you say "largest", which parameter are you scaling?  Are you
using a significant fraction of RAM?  RHEL and Fedora have
a completely different VM.  Also, highmem support in FC1 may be broken.

I'd suggest using Oprofile or readprofile to find where the kernel is spending
its time.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky