Update patches versus full update RPM.

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Fri Jan 9 19:03:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 16:03, James Kosin wrote:
> Dear Rui Miguel Seabra,
> | > You could summarize before having incited people to pester the
> | > fedora-devel-list, right?
> This is NOT pestering.  Often times developers can't see the tree through
> the woods.  Every developer should love people making suggestions.  I do!

Lamar's post was:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg01875.html

Please reread it and consider it's contents are:

1st paragraph: he would like to summarize what he has found after making
a proposal and requesting comments about a mechanism to
reduce the amount of bandwidth that is wasted downloading updates.

BUT HE DOESN'T:

2nd paragraph: he says there has been quite a backlash from a few
developers who seem to think that it's not worth the effort, and he
disagrees.

SO:

3rd paragraph: In his view, the only way to settle this backlash is to
demonstrate the demand for such a mechanism along with the benefits to
end users, and invites the users to lobby the developers if they are
interested in seeing patch RPMs instead of full updates developed and
deployed.

THIS is not a summary, it's just a rehash of the subject.
FURTHERMORE, in the same paragraph:
The best place to pester developers is on the fedora-devel list.
                  ^^^^^^

The only good part is recognizing the one might even find success by
paying a developer to implement a trial version of his idea to prove its
worth.

I'm just stating facts.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?