Update patches versus full update RPM.

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Jan 10 16:01:51 UTC 2004

On Friday 09 January 2004 07:36 pm, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> > To repeat the gist of the last message I wrote on this subject ot
> > fedora-devel, I am going to implement a diffing system for the PostgreSQL
> > RPMs that I distribute from ftp.postgresql.org.  I will see how it works,
> > once I get around to doing it.  Then if the Fedora Core project wants to
> > adapt it, that is up to them.

> That sounds better. How did you solve the signing issue? Straight binary
> diffs won't work very well you see.

I haven't solved the signing issue yet.  Thus my request for comments in
-devel.  The archives of that list are public; see a thread "Request for
Comments: updating RPMs using binary deltas."

As mentioned on that list, SuSE are distributing binary patches NOW.  They do
have space savings NOW.  Their method could stand some improvement; we can
improve upon it.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology