Non FOSS and Fedora

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon Jan 12 14:38:55 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 14:09, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> Ah.  I see.  So now you're the thought police?  I thought that one of the
> benefits of linux was free thought?  So, if somebody has a need for helix,
> well, we're going to try to keep them from using it by using censorship?
>
> I am all in favor of FOSS.  However, your attempt to censor free speech
> makes me sick.

*cof*cof* Do you even have an idea of what a thought police is? Or what
censorship is?

No one went there and said:
  I will arrest you if you don't think like me

No one ever said, also:
  If you don't change it do look like this, then I will not publish.

So, it's neither thought police nor censorship.

What it is, is expressing disagreement about an opinion and advising
against maintaining that path.

In effect, it is EXPRESSING THE OPINION THAT what is being advised is,
in our OPINION, bad for the users on the long run, AND that we think
that that shouldn't be published.

It is QUITE DIFFERENT from forcing or censoring.

This is the essence of Free Speech. Some people have different ideas,
many of them come with good intentions but nevertheless might make
mistakes when they're not aware of certain issues.

Please stop making such a huge and mistaken comparison, the aggression
it makes and the automagical bias such a comparison causes to someone
less aware has a pernicious effect of scaring into silence opinions
different from yours.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?