how do i backup all my data and restore?

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Mon Jan 12 14:39:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 08:42, Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
> I tried once to do a backup and restore of /home only, but i anyway lost
> some valuable stuff (old emails that never got correcly restored,
> personal information within web browser and so on). I wish there was a
> way to do this so that i don't loose all the time i spent configuring my
> system. ;)

cp has an archive option:
  cp -a /home /somewhere

I keep nightly backups of /etc using tar in a cron job:
  tar --create --ignore-failed-read --owner=root --group=root --gzip
--file=/home/backup/critical-${HOSTNAME}.tgz --backup=numbered /etc

> Any hint?

In the future, place /home on its own partition.  Then you don't have to
backup anything to install a new/updated system.  Just make sure you
don't format it during the install process.

I mount /home on a software RAID array made from two 80 GB disks.  Then
I don't have to worry as much about hardware failures.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/