Windows key (Was Re: 2 newbie questions.)

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jan 12 15:22:20 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 13:39 1/10/2004, you wrote:
>
>> I know I could say this to a gnome list. I'm aware I could even post
>> this to some xfree list, saying that every single keyboard sold today
>> for pc have those 3 keys.
>

> No IBM Thinkpad keyboards have that key. Other examples exist; let's not
> dramatize too much.
>
> By all means, though, let us attempt to use every resource available,
> and having that key available on most keyboards makes it an attractive
> resource to use. I myself would find it attractive to have the
> GNOME-menu and the KDE-menu come up automatically with that key IF IT IS
> PRESENT. If not (and as alternative in any case) the default behaviors
> should be kept and explained to the user.
>
> For example, I think it's exceedingly neat that if you click on the
> desktop you get that menu "at your fingertips". I love not having to go
> to the bottom-left corner to get at that menu. Why do we not (also) put
> more effort into telling newbies how to use that menu???

My take on this issue is where and how can keyboards be configured for
the different types available.  Where would be a good site be to look
at these details.

I say this as I have just gotten a new computer and it came with a M$
multimedia keyboard with a whole slew of extra keys.  Now to get that
working is going to be fun.

As this list is about fedora and this is an issue for newer and many
older linux users that get new hardware and have new issues to deal
with.  As many anti-linux people say, installing can be a nightmare.

I have come across my own problems with FC1 installs but I havn't had
the time to see if there are answers available before I post the problems.

--
Robin Laing