Goodbye to the list

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Mon Jan 12 16:27:40 UTC 2004

From: "Andre Costa" <acosta at ar.microlink.com.br>
> Even though IMHO Elton overreacted a bit, and I agree these netiquette
> probls will always exist, and I try to turn a blind eye on them, it
> doesn't mean we should not try to educate people to do the right thing.
> I do believe most of the topic-hijacking, top posting etc. happens by
> lack of information, and that on these cases, a simple, objective (i.e.
> non-passionate) education will work. OTOH there's some people who just
> don't give a damn about netiquette, and will simply discard any
> education related to it. These are lost cases, I wouldn't waste my time
> with them.

I'd just like to point out that I am one of those cases who used to top
post, hijack threads, and not trim enough, all out of ignorance.  It was the
folks on this and the redhat lists who kindly explained to me what I was
doing wrong, and more importantly *why* it was wrong, who got me to the
point where I am hopefully posting n a more polite and netiquette fashion.

I sincerely hope that this attitude doesn't change.  I'm sure that there are
a large number of folks who join each day.  I'm equally sure that many, like
myself, are happy to learn the proper methods to correspond, so that we can
communicate most effectively.  Of course, there will always be those who do
not wish to do so, but I suppose that they can always be ignored. :)

Ben