(no subject)

Krikket krikket at gothpoodle.com
Tue Jan 13 00:31:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> Krikket wrote:
>
> >Are you willing to have a machine that only boots Linux?  Or do you
> >need/want a dual-boot system?
> >
> >If you're willing to go with an only-linux system, you can startup from
> >the first install CD, go to "linux rescue" and repartition the
> >hard-drives.
> >
> >The disadvantage is that you'll loose any data you have stored.
>
> I'm no expert in grub instalations , but I'm sure that's not needed to
> repartition everything. Check some docs about grub , and I guess a
> simple grub-install will do the trick (we had a problem like that on
> some suse machines and grub install did the trick)

It nmay very well do the trick.  I'm just relating to what worked for me.
Then again, I didn't care about saving anything on the hard-drive.

If the data you need has all been safely copied elsewhere, I'd take the
approach of deleting all partitions, creating a Windows partition, and
then a Linux parititon.  Install Windows.  Install Linux.  (And let Linux
figure out what should go where.)

The one catch that you'd need to be careful of with this process is that
Windows (at least W98se, I haven't tried others) only works right when
it's already been formatted as a Windows parition.  I don't have
experience formatting Windows partitions in Linux.

But others are probably right -- very likely there is a less extreme way
of doing this.

Krikket