Fedora and APIPA 169.254.x.x

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Tue Jan 13 03:56:54 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> said:

> Am Mo, den 12.01.2004 schrieb Dexter Ang um 06:45:
> > OK thanks! That's nice to know. I guess all I have to do is set the
> > static IP upon boot with ifconfig. Would there be any possibility of
> > doing this automatically? Will this route work even though eth0
> > isn't up?
> >
> > dex
>
> What do you mean by "set the static IP upon boot with ifconfig"? All
> real devices should be set up properly with a configuration file like
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. No need to do that
> manually.
> The APIPA will of course only be set if there is at least one (real)
> device, like eth0.
>
> Alexander

i'm sorry for not being clear. what i specifically want to happen is
similar to what happens to windows. basically:

1. upon boot, check if i can get an address from dhcp.
2. if i can, great, get address, and done. if not...
3. automatically set an ip address that doesn't conflict with anything
else using apipa 169.254.x.x address range.

what currently happens is:

1. upon boot, check if i can get an address from dhcp.
2. if i can, great, get address, and done. if not, eth0 isn't brought
up, no ip address.

is there a way to set a default/"alternate" address in case i do not
get an ip address from the dhcp server? that way windows machines can
access me through my ip easily. any options i can put in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, or maybe a man page i can
read about it, as i can't seem to find any help on options for the
ifcfg-ethx scripts.

thanks!

dex