Switching from run level 5 to 3 hangs

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Tue Jan 13 09:27:04 UTC 2004

Wait a sec. This doesn't sound like a bug anymore, sounds like a feature
:)

There are only six virtual terminals enabled by default (1-6 funnily
enough) now if you issue the "/sbin/init 3" command from inside an X
window then it will drop down to the terminal from which it started (7)
but of course there is no 'mingetty' spawned for that device and you
can't do anything. You need to switch to one of the others.

Console input will only work on VT 1-6. You can of course change that
though by altering the 'inittab' but be careful, and the X  device moves
from 7 to 8 and so on if you do it.

Matt, are you still seeing a 'hang' when using virtual terminal 1-6 ?