Enabling Journaling

Samuel Flory sflory at rackable.com
Tue Jan 13 19:21:50 UTC 2004

Steve Hanson wrote:
> Douglas C. Robinson wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to enable journaling on my Fedora system.  I have seen
>> in the "man mount" page that I must set the option in mount to
>> "data=journal".  Where do I enter this switch?  I have placed the
>> option in the /etc/fstab file in various places.  This generates many
>> error messages at re-boot.  There is probably a simple solution but
>> this eludes me.
>
> If you are using a "generic" install of Fedora Core - that is, if you
> didn't actually do something to
> change to a non-ext3 file system, you're already using journaling on an
> ext3 file system.
>
> Journaling options are set in the /etc/fstab file, in the file system
> options column.  If you really need to set a non-default mode of
> journaling (like for some reason you want to use the data=journal option
> rather than the default data=ordered) you'd need to change the entry for
> that file system to be something like this:
>

> /dev/sdd1        /var/lib/imap/user    ext3    data=journal 1 3
>
> That is, you'd probably end up replacing the defaults entry with
> data=journal
>
> But make sure you understand the implications of changing the journaling
> option.

   Also it's much harder to change the journal option for /.  You will
need to edit your fstab, and recreate your initrd. "mkinitrd"

PS-  If you need to ask how to change to the journal mode vs the default
ext3 journaling mode (ordered mode).  You shouldn't be messing with it.
  Journal mode is really really slow for nearly everything, but a few
weird corner cases.
--
Unless you can't avoid it never put a
serial number on any of your systems!!