Wish list for Fedora Core 2

Bjorn Andersen ba at linuxin.dk
Tue Jan 13 21:12:28 UTC 2004

Hi

I like the menu you have made, and thanks for the info on
~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications.vfolder-info

But it is not that easey as i would have hoped. I dont want to write
this menu on 100 systems (copy a default file and change the owner)

I don't even want to bother, I have other things taking my time.

About the Num Lock i have not time to compile the xnumlock program on
100 systems... So simple it is.

The situation is this:
We have to buy software for over 1 mill. EURO replacing NT4
workstations, Office and NT4 servers (and some sort of ERP system, but
that is the next project).

It is a lot of money, money that THEY want to take from somewhere
else...

If I roll out the MS solution, then I see my self in the situation, in
about a year, firing one of my employees. To save money...

The Linux way, and Open Source way could save money, reduce TCO and make
the system based on open standards. That is okay with the stab, teachers
and others, as long as they don't have something to complain about. As
long as they could do, what they always have done...

Kernel messages??? (maybe i can hide these with quiet as kernel
argument)

About a global menu is a god thing, thanks for the idea, but Num Lock???
(why not make the kernel look in bios to see if Num Lock is default
on???)

Best Regards
Bjorn Andersen

On tir, 2004-01-13 at 14:23 -0500, David L Norris wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 03:28, Bjorn Andersen wrote:
> > > Maybe "System Settings" and "Admin Tools"
> >
> > NO, I just want to be able to delete this 2 menues for my users...
>
> Like this?
>   http://webaugur.com/bibliotheca/linux/gnome-menus/mainmenu.png
> And this?
>   http://webaugur.com/bibliotheca/linux/gnome-menus/menubar.png
>

> Its not terribly difficult but it is not as easy as it should be.
>
> Here is the ~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications.vfolder-info file used in
> the screenshots:
> http://webaugur.com/bibliotheca/linux/gnome-menus/applications.vfolder-info
>

> You can also edit the menus system-wide in a variety of ways.  Here are
> some relevant directories:
>   /usr/share/desktop-menu-files/
>   /etc/X11/desktop-menus/
>   /usr/share/applications/
>   /usr/share/gnome/vfolders/
>

> You could create a system-wide applications menu which removes the
> System Settings and System Tools menus.  Then add those menus for only
> your administrators.

God idea...

--
Bjorn Andersen <ba at linuxin.dk>