Wish list for Fedora Core 2

Mariano Draghi mdraghi at prosud.com
Wed Jan 14 00:40:44 UTC 2004

>>> About a global menu is a god thing, thanks for the idea, but Num Lock???
>>> (why not make the kernel look in bios to see if Num Lock is default
>>> on???)
>>

>Men, there's stuff I would never understand on Linux/Gnome/Xfree.
>Numlock is one of these. Back to the years of dos 3.0 I liked numlock
>off, because I was a young kid which was far more interested in simcity
>than anything else, but ignoring numlock state and making the change of
>this behavior SO damn difficult is, well, just stupid.

Oh, well... I think it's just a matter of time. Linux has just got the
attention of the Workstation world... When? Yesterday? Or so... ;)
Before that, it was by geeks for geeks.
And the same (but the other way around...) can be said about Windows,
for example. Why I don't have a decent command line interpreter. Why the
installation media doesn't come with a _decent_ text editor, or a
compiler, or a toolkit, or Python, or whatever.
The problem here is that the main audience of Linux has started to
change. Or at least to get wider. And things need time to get done.

Apart from that, not always is _that_ easy to look for some setting in
the BIOS... it's not that "standard". Maybe other OSs have a thousand of
patches and "what-if" to deal with every BIOS out there. And every BIOS
manufacturer is willing to give to the development team of those OSs all
the help they need, under a non-disclosure agreement, of course, and
that's something that GNU/Linux doesn't have.

So, it's a good idea to look at the bugs filed in Gnome and KDE. And if
there is nothing related to "make Numlock on by default", lets file a
new bug. And have all the students or whoever is complaining about it
vote for that bug.

But above all, we need a little patience. I think GNU/Linux has made a
tremendous step toward usability and "user-friendliness". Of course
there's more to be made... but I think that's something GNU/Linux and
the developers involved can be blamed about.

Just my 0.2 cents.
And please, sorry for my English, just in case... ;)

--
Mariano.