Re: Two questions about FC1 kernel upgrades

Daniel Robitaille wrote:

1) Since I installed FC1 just before Christmas, I have had to do 4
kernel upgrades in 3 weeks.  Is that an anomalous period, or it's
always going to be like that in the Fedora world?  I don't remember so many
kernel updates in a short time like this with RHL8/9. Or I'm getting
what I'm paying for? :)

Dec 24 14:48 vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl Jan 6 17:50 vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2138.nptl
Jan 7 23:19 vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2140.nptl
Jan 13 20:40 vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2149.nptl

This is a major problem for me. I'm connected using a 33k6 modem from home. Two kernels and a glibc inside a week is killing me. To add insult to injury I spent all my spare time last night recompiling my kernel and getting the NVidia driver to work. I woke up this morning to find 2149 was out. With a 5 month old son, losing that spare time hurt.

I know many people are against the idea of patches, but could we at least have a patch set for the kernel source? For those of us who roll their own, it'd reduce the download from 40 odd Meg down to a matter of kilobytes. That's gotta take the strain off of a few servers...

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems

Tel +61 7 3857 7899