Two questions about FC1 kernel upgrades

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Wed Jan 14 15:07:23 UTC 2004

Dave Jones wrote:

> There was a large amount of bits and pieces that were missed
> from the release of FC1 -> 2.4.23 release, which I've been trying
> to get merged as painlessly as possible. (Ie, not integrating
> netdriver updates with networking updates at the same time --
> this way works out easier to track things down if there's
> a networking regression).
>
> This coupled with 2-3 security updates made it quite a busy time
> over the last few weeks. Things should start to slow down real soon.
> The current kernel in -testing (2154) has a large number of the
> remaining 2.4.23->2.4.25 changes.

I'm a little confused...
I understand that the FC kernel numbers are CVS nomenclature.  How do they
compare with the "generic" kernel numbers I see elsewhere?  The above makes
me think that the 2.4.22-1.2140 version roughly parallels the 2.4.23 I tried
to download and build from kernel.org previously.  Is there a document,
table, or write-up I can look at that makes the comparison?
Thanks,
 -Don