Two questions about FC1 kernel upgrades

Alexandre Strube surak at surak.eti.br
Wed Jan 14 16:13:39 UTC 2004

Em Qua, 2004-01-14 às 12:07, Don Levey escreveu:

> I'm a little confused...
> I understand that the FC kernel numbers are CVS nomenclature.  How do they
> compare with the "generic" kernel numbers I see elsewhere?  The above makes
> me think that the 2.4.22-1.2140 version roughly parallels the 2.4.23 I tried
> to download and build from kernel.org previously.  Is there a document,
> table, or write-up I can look at that makes the comparison?

2.4.22-1.2140 is not 2.4.23. What happens is that redhat backport errata
and security fixes from latest kernels to redhat ones. Backporting means
people doesn't need to re-install/recompile their modules for, say, new
kernel version, making such installation have much less downtime
changing modules every time, as well as keeping security fixes fine (I
should work advertising redhat :-)

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group