How do I know when a reboot is required?

Steve Gonzales gonzo at eng.lsu.edu
Wed Jan 14 17:39:34 UTC 2004

??????????
Reboot every 2-3 weeks no matter what??????  I sense bad karma in this
post!

The ONLY time I reboot (regularly) is when there is a kernel upgrade.
Other than that, I can start/stop/restart services and the server does
not complain in the least.

A reboot clears symptoms, but it does not alleviate the core problem(s)
with a package.  In that I do agree with you.  If the package doesn't
work, then maybe.. _maybe_  a reinstall is in order.

One of the major reasons I insisted that our department move our main
web server from M$ to Linux is the reboot stuff.  Automatic updates
reboot our M$ servers almost everyday to engage the changes to the
"feature" being patched.  Far be it that an update (again, aside from
the kernel) necessitates a reboot in the *nix world on a regular basis.

Yours in fellowship.
Steve Gonzales, RHCE, MCSE
LSU Division of Engineering Services
GEAUX TIGERS!