Kpackage missing from Kdeadmin - Why, and howto rectify

Simon Perreault nomis80 at nomis80.org
Thu Jan 15 01:31:13 UTC 2004

On January 14, 2004 19:57, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> Thus, I am pleased that RH is of a mind to not include packages with
> duplicate functionality.

Then let's remove KDE, XFCE and others, Evolution, mutt and others (we got
Mozilla mail), vi and all other editors (we have emacs).

Why won't we do that? If the packages provided all the same functionality, why
would we care?

Simple: because they don't.

And kpackage is part of this generalization: it doesn't provide the same
functionality as other package management programs. There are some things
that it does that others don't, which can also be said about the other
packages.

Linux is about choice. Embrace it. Unification does not mean reducing choice.

Oh, and kpackage is not a package by itself. It is a program that is ripped
out of the kdeadmin package.

> In my heart, Unix is small and simple.  Linux as it is currently
> packaged hides this fact.  It might be nice if there was a single
> half full base install CDROM.  All the other stuff would be on
> layer disks that users could install after the base is loaded.

Where's the patch?

> I understand why.  Each additional packages creates dependencies
> that need to be installed in the system.  Too quickly the dependencies
> build an all inclusive web, often involving circular dependencies.
> One easy resolution to this pile of stuff problem is to toss
> lots and lots of stuff into the release.

No, this is not and has never been the case.

--
Simon Perreault <nomis80 at nomis80.org> -- http://nomis80.org