Export

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 15 03:54:34 UTC 2004

Bevan C. Bennett said:
>> I believe you will find that sudo works seamlessly with the version of
>> consolehelper in Fedora Core 1.
>
> In what way? My example -was- on Fedora Core 1.
>
> The problem is that consolehelper tries to use a graphical widget if
> possible, which fails from inside a sudo on a remote system that's
> forwarding it's X because root doesn't have the right xauth cookies.

Well, I just double checked to make sure my memory wasn't failing, but it
worksforme.  As a user:

$ sudo reboot
Password:

and it works.  Now that was a machine I SSH'ed into with X-Forwarding,
doesn't have X installed locally.  So I tried on my laptop (with X):
[whooper at butters whooper]$ which up2date
/usr/bin/up2date
[whooper at butters whooper]$ sudo which up2date
/usr/bin/up2date
[whooper at butters whooper]$ sudo up2date
<forward, forward, checking, no updates, blah blah>
[whooper at butters whooper]$

When using sudo I also get Logwatch entries along the lines of:
userhelper[2487]: running '/usr/sbin/up2date -u' with root privileges on
behalf of 'root'

Maybe you have old versions of config files left over?

[whooper at butters whooper]$ grep usermode /var/log/rpmpkgs
usermode-1.69-1.i386.rpm
usermode-gtk-1.69-1.i386.rpm
[whooper at butters whooper]$

--