yum locking up

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Thu Jan 15 15:54:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I am eager to migrate from RHL 9 to Fedora on my PC, but 1 problem is
> holding me back: yum
>
> Doing:
>
> yum check-update or yum update
>
> the download of the rpm starts and then locks up.  I can do ^C and it
> will continue or restart, but then it will lock up again.  The download
> stops.  The download usually works well with small rpms, but installing
> the kernel, glibc or mozilla is practically impossible.  It simply stops
> downloading and hangs.

How long did you wait?? Are you sure it is locked?? What does ps tell you??
It is quite common for yum to go silent for long periods of time when it
is dealing with a large amount of rpms. It takes a while to do all of its
stuff. If you want to be sure it is locked try running it with a -d5 or
higher and watch all of the information it produces. OTOH you could just
run anaconda and upgrade it that way. If you do not want to download
the iso's do an ftp or http install.

Tom