ACPI

I'm an beginner/intermediate Linux user running Fedora Core 1 on a Dell
Inspirion 5150 with the standard 2.4.22 kernel that comes with this
distro.  I have acpi enabled, and it runs great under gnome (kde gives
me weird values, but that's just kde).  I would like to get the suspend
and standby features to work.  Both features ran great on my laptop
under Debian woody without any configuration so I know its quite
possible on this laptop.  My plan is to grab a fresh 2.6 kernel and
apply the acpi patches.  Before I start, I was wondering if anyone had
tried something similar.  I also notice that windows gets significantly
better battery performance than Linux when they are both under the same
conditions.  Any tips on tweaking Linux for using less power?