OpenLDAP and file limits

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Sat Jan 17 00:34:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 19:07, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
> Ok, I am having one really big problem with using FC1 as a server in one
> particular circumstance. Every week or so, LDAP hits 'Too many open
> files' and stops functioning properly. Additionally, I've discovered
> that the various LDAP clients don't then fail over to my backup LDAP
> server like they're supposed to. They don't even fail all at once, but
> things just slowly stop working one by one until everything else grinds
> to a halt.

What are your values in /proc/sys/fs/file-max and file-nr?  Per
/usr/src/linux-2.4/Documentation/sysctl/fs.txt:

"file-max & file-nr:

The kernel allocates file handles dynamically, but as yet it
doesn't free them again.

The value in file-max denotes the maximum number of file-
handles that the Linux kernel will allocate. When you get lots
of error messages about running out of file handles, you might
want to increase this limit."

I've found RHAS 2.1 boxen with a low max files of 8192, my FC1 laptop
has a value of 26208, and my RHAS 3.0 server is 52422.  HTH.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting