shutdown & kernel

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Jan 17 00:53:37 UTC 2004

John Gray wrote:

> Sorry if this is double post, but I can' t locate my original on any
> of the emails.
>
> How do I get the computer to switch off when I select shutdown?
>
> How do I remove the non existent kernel choices from the boot loader
> list, or at least set the default kernel?
> When I do "rpm -q kernel" I only get the current kernel, but in the
> boot loader list I have two previous kernels.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

John ,
to see all the available installed kernel packages , do "rpm -qa |grep
kernel". It'll list all the kernel versions you have. Then , do "rpm -e
kernel-versionnumber".
This will remove all the traces of old kernels (modules , grub entries..)

About the shutdown , if I'm not wrong , it's only a matter of adding
"acpi=on" to the  kernel parameters. You can search the archives to
confirm this info.

Pedro Macedo