Can't mount .iso on the HD

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jan 18 17:52:17 UTC 2004

Am So, den 18.01.2004 schrieb Florian Sievert um 11:23:
> Travalar schrieb:
>
> >I am trying to make bootable cd's to install Fedora. Near the end it
> >says to mount the .iso on the HD. When I do, I get a warning, that I
> >must be root to open it up.  How do I become root?
> >

> Maybe it sounds stupid, but I am writing simply ;)
> By typing "su root". The system will then ask you for the password.

Annotation: better use "su" nearly always as "su -", which is the short
form for "su -l" and does not only changes UID and GID but makes it a
login shell. Otherwise you will get not environment set (no root's PATH,
etc.). It is not neccessary to say "su - root" as "su -" takes root's
login shell by default.

> To mount manually an ISO to the harddisk, you need to create an empty
> folder (mkdir) and then
> mount -t iso9660 -o loop /source/of/iso /folder/target
>
> On this way I successfully mounted an iso file on the harddisk. Hope
> this is somehow usefull for you.
>
> Florian

Alexander

--