update issues

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Jan 19 02:13:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:26:52 +1000 Michael Kearey <mutk at iprimus.com.au> wrote:
> I have been using yum over up2date lately. It justs seems better to
> me...(Read the FAQ some more, you will find out how to settup yum there)

i'm trying yum right now, it seems ok. two things:

1) i haven't yet found a FAQ entry on yum, what FAQ should i be looking
at. the FAQ on the redhat.com fedora site is pretty slim. if it's in the faq
on the fedora.us site, i've not found it yet.

2) how does yum handle postgresql updates? updating postgresql
on major releases (say, 7.3->7.4) is a manual process, i don't want
anything automated breaking DB installations in the early hours of
the morning. is there a way to tell it not to update certain software?

> Sun's Java 1.4.2_03 works perfectly for me on Fedora BTW, so probably
> no need to go to court. The FAQ has tips on how to set that up, but I
> am sure you won't need that.

hopefully not. i'll grab a copy of the current jre and install it and see
if the app runs properly.

oh, yeah. is there anyone with rxtx experience in fedora on the list?
does it work without excessive pain?

thanks,
  richard
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net