fedora-list digest, Vol 1 #822 - 31 msgs

Justin P. Steiger JustinS at NetWorld.com
Mon Jan 19 13:29:13 UTC 2004

> Justin P. Steiger wrote:
>

> >//192.168.0.1/shared    /mnt/server             smbfs rw,username=username,password=xXxxxXx 0 0

> Hi,
>     I've never been quite able to put a valid password into my fstab -
> does anyone else do this, and if so, what added security do you use?
>
> --
> Scott Burns
> Mirrabooka Systems
>
> Tel +61 7 3857 7899
> Fax +61 7 3857 1368

Scott,

I haven't looked into the security side of using your fstab to mount a
networked drive/directory since I'm just on my home lan. You can also
use nfs. I just googled around (for fstab) until I got close, then hit
IRC #linuxhelp and got some ideas there (#fedora is NOT a noob friendly
room for asking questions unless you like some flame with your answer),
and after much rebooting it finaly took.

I'm assuming using fstab to mount via smbfs is as secure as using smb
since I had to use my username and password. Security isn't too high on
my list of worries since this computer and the one hooked to the
internet are testbeds and get a re-install at least weekly .. lol (Being
a NOOBIE sucks!) ..

Cheers all and again, thanks for the help, MUCH appriciated.
Justin