Kpackage missing from Kdeadmin - Why, and howto rectify

Michael Kearey mutk at iprimus.com.au
Tue Jan 20 10:15:27 UTC 2004

Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 00:13, Michael Kearey wrote:
>
>>Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
<snip>
> Ok, i tried again. Your srpms compiles fine, i have all the packages
> needed to compile. It fires up but doesn't work and sometimes crashes.
>
> If i start from command line, here is what happens if i try to uninstall
> cdrecord:
>
> [root at brunettie i386]# kpackage
> kbuildsycoca running...
<snip>
> konsole_grantpty: cannot revoke /dev/ttyp0.
> Reason: Function not implemented
> konsole: chownpty failed for device /dev/ptyp0::/dev/ttyp0.
>        : This means the session can be eavesdroped.
>        : Make sure konsole_grantpty is installed in
>        : /usr/bin/ and setuid root.
> [root at brunettie i386]# rpm -q cdrecord
> cdrecord-2.01-0.a19.2
> [root at brunettie i386]# Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
>
> Some errors, then i exit and cdrecord is still there. And after some
> seconds the very last error.
>
> I am a bit lost, will now try tarball from kde. I know this isn't a
> devel list, just wondering whether this happens also on your system
> (remember, kpackage apparently works fine, only if i really try to use
> it with local rpm db i get all this) or it is something specific of my
> systems.

Yes, it does same on my system. The error reports that
konsole_grantpty  needs to be suid, I will experiment and see what I
come up with.

Odd that I was able to install ethereal and net-snmp no problems. Just
un-installing seems to fail.

Like I said, using the package is not a great idea if you don't know
what you are doing ;)

Cheers,
Michael