ANOTHER Fedora upgrade tale of woe...

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Jan 20 14:59:52 UTC 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 07:18 pm, John Nelson wrote:
> I tried to upgrade RH 8 on another of my development machines and, while
> the upgrade claimed it was successful, the upgrade process royally
> messed up in setting up the modules for the kernel. The modules.info
> file is missing from /boot. Also the /lib/modules/e2.4.20-20....
> directory that contains those modules..... wasn't even created so when
> Fedora boots up, I get a cascade of missing modules errors.

This box use LILO?  I ran into this with a box; the cure was getting LILO
properly configured for the 2.4.22 kernel used by FC1.  This was not trivial,
since several LILO support files had been changed in /boot.  The modules were
removed by the RPM upgrade process, but LILO is still pointing to the old
kernel binary.  I do not remember the full sequence of steps that were
required; if this box CAN use GRUB you will want to use GRUB on it;
installing GRUB from scratch isn't too fun, though.  To boot the the right
kernel you can run mkbootdisk (that is, if the kernel isn't too large to fit
on a floppy) and boot from that, or you can boot the install CD in rescue
mode to get things mounted to where you can work on them.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology