xpaint alternative?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jan 20 15:04:08 UTC 2004

T. Ribbrock wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:23:19AM -0800, Alan Horn wrote:
>
>>You could just download and compile it from
>>https://sourceforge.net/projects/sf-xpaint/
>

> Of course. As I said, I'm curious what's supposed to be the replacement,
> as at some point someone decided xpaint wasn't necessary any longer in
> the distro. Admittedly, once I've found a program that does everything I
> need, I often don't follow alternative developments too closely... :-}
>
> Cheerio,
>
> Thomas

I think that has to do with where the distribution is headed or aimed
at.  For a home user, the requirements will be much different than a
business user.

I run Fedora both at home and work.  At home I want MPlayer as it will
play almost any file that I try with it.  At work I use MPlayer as it
will repair files that are corrupt.  It isn't included with Fedora.

I also require other programs but again they depend on my needs.

I am learning how to compile programs and to troubleshoot problems
when I do 'make'.

Look at tripwire.  It was included in previous versions of RH but now
it isn't.

With a bit of searching, you can find RPM's for most applications.  I
know that I have had much luck here for many applications that I use
or want.  This is some of the fun of Linux.

Try OpenOffice Draw.  I find it works for many simple drawings that I
have had to do.  Easier than gimp for simple diagrams even though I do
use Gimp almost daily.

--
Robin Laing