Upgrade from RH8 to FC1 hangs with GRUB

John Rumball fedora at jerumball.com
Wed Jan 21 11:42:27 UTC 2004

Recently I attempted an upgrade from RH8 to FC1 using Yum and
everything seemed to be going along well when I noticed yum complaining
that it needed X amount of disk space for various packages it was
trying to install.  When the upgrade stopped, it was displaying a line
which said something like, "Testing transaction:".

Upon checking the amount of free disk space I discovered that I had
only 300MB remaining and figured that this wouldn't be enough to allow
me to successfully complete the upgrade.  So I shutdown my system and
used Norton Ghost to transfer my entire Linux installation (3
partitions) to a new 30GB drive.

After booting the machine with the new hard drive, the system hangs
with the word GRUB in the top left corner of the screen.

Any idea why this might have happened and what I can try to get past
this?  Any comments or suggestions you may have will be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

John Rumball