compiled kernel - modules mess (was:kernel doesn't compile?)

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano_brunetti at idg.it
Thu Jan 22 11:45:11 UTC 2004

However, two strange things happened:

- at first boot my new kernel got panic - it wouldn't recnogize boot
option root=LABEL=/ in grub.conf. A simple change into root=/dev/myhd
solved. Any hints on how to restore it to root=LABEL=/?

- there's a little mess with modules, possibly due to a bad
configuration of mine. However, that mess got inherited by binary kernel
2140.nptl, installed with a simple 'yum update' some weeks ago. Now that
kernel at boot time looks for modules that were not even compiled before
i tried to make a custom kernel with 2149.nptl sources.

This is the first time i compile a Fedora kernel, but not the first time
i compile a kernel. Last time, some months ago, i didn't run into such
problems. I remember that modules for different kernel versions were in
different places and wouldn't overlap.

Did i do something wrong? Is there something i don't know about Fedora
kernels?

Thanks

E.