wireless / system-config-network error message

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Fri Jan 23 01:12:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 19:22, Marc O'Morain wrote:

> My wireless chipset is detected automatically. Our DHCP server gives me
> an IP address. It also gives my the same DNS server addresses that my
> windows partition gives me. I can ping all the other machines on my home
> lan.
>
> I cannot however access the internet. I can ping servers on the internet;
> Ping www.google.com gives me:

Pinging the internet == accessing the internet.

If you can reach an external site via ICMP (ping), your card is working
fine.  Your DNS (UDP) is also working, but connections via wget or your
web browser fail, both of which use TCP.  Are you running a firewall on
your machine?  If so, disable it temporarily and try again.  If it
works, then look at your firewall ruleset.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting