get the timestamp as a log filename

Dave Rinker drinker at dsrtech.com
Fri Jan 23 11:37:28 UTC 2004

Tom,

This is a script I cron every night at midnight.
crude but it works without flaw. modify the "date" line to whatever you
want it to be.

hope it helps.

Thanks,
Dave

#!/bin/sh
date=`/bin/date +%b%d%y`
cp /var/logs/messages /var/logs/messages.$date
> /var/logs/messages
chmod 600 /var/logs/messages.$date
cp /var/logs/firewall /var/logs/firewall.$date
> /var/logs/firewall
chmod 600 /var/logs/firewall.$date
gzip /var/logs/firewall.*
mv /var/logs/firewall.* /var/logs/logarchive/
gzip /var/logs/messages.*
mv /var/logs/messages.* /var/logs/logarchive/
exit