Er diagram

Clint clint at penguinsolutions.org
Fri Jan 23 11:42:09 UTC 2004

gm wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I was wondering if there is any programs on linux that can do er
> diagrams(entity relationship diagrams for sql). I need it for an sql
> assignment if there isn't one can anyone suggest a paint program for
> linux that can do diamonds,rectangles, circles, and triangles shapes.
>
> thanks
>
> gm

I can recommend a program that comes with FC1 called Dia. It will allow
you to construct ER diagrams to your liking among other diagrams and
flowcharts. Just be sure you regularly save in the native Dia format so
that you can edit it! When you get it looking the way you want, simply
export it as a .png or other file flavor that suits.

All of my PHP/MySQL students used Dia and liked it. One group however,
learned the hard way about saving in the native format: they needed to
edit a fairly involved ER and couldn't edit the .png they saved it as.

Here are two examples of ER diagrams done in Dia:

http://www.penguinsolutions.org/books/erd.php

http://penguinsolutions.org/images/erd.png

Clint