Mozilla and Flash

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Sat Jan 24 01:50:21 UTC 2004

Sean Kennedy wrote:

> On a related note:  Would it be wise to include this library with the
> basic workstation and desktop installation?  Simply because so many
> people use flash, wouldn't it make everyone's like easier?

It's actually important for a lot more programs than just flash, and is
therefore in -my- default install already.

Part of the problem is that developers (myself included) never want to
include copatibility libraries by default, because that in a way is
encouraging people to continue to provide programs that use deprecated
libraries. The "new way" always has many inherent benefits, so
encouraging the "old way" is counterproductive.

I'd rather just make sure that people have access to enough package
management utilities (like yum and up2date) such that compatibility
libraries will be installed when neccessary, and not otherwise.