Clean up the up2date directory, /var partition?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Jan 24 18:00:52 UTC 2004

At 11:40 1/24/2004, you wrote:
>My 583MB /var partition is 88% full, with a large chunk of that 88%
>being in the /var/spool/up2date directory.  Is there a procedure for
>cleaning out the up2date directory?

The /var/spool/up2date directory should contain .rpm files and .hdr files.
I am 99% confident that nothing you delete will hurt the up2date process
(and I am 100% sure that you won't damage the RPM database). I suggest you
simply delete the .rpm files (which take up all the space) and leave the
.hdr files since these are what up2date uses to determine what updates are
available, what they depend on, and whether you need them.

>In that same vein, is it okay to delete the huge lastlog file in
>/var/log?

No. The (usually) 19MB lastlog file should not be deleted.

>Determined to stick with the penguin thingee

Good for you. You'll find that you get more and more comfortable as time
goes on. I have been running servers on Red Hat Linux for many years now,
but have still not managed to migrate my desktop computer. Patience and
time, and you will learn more and more. Besides, Linux is really getting
more mature as time goes on. :-)

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com