named slave problem

Patrick Nelson pnelson at neatech.com
Sun Jan 25 01:34:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 16:37, Mike Klinke wrote:
> Can you use 'dig' to do an axfr transfer from either your old or new
> slave machine against your 'newmaster?' This may help cut the scope
> of your problem in half.
>
> dig axfr <your zone> @<your master>
>
> and/or to your 'oldmaster'?

I noticed that I was missing include "/etc/rndc.key" from the named.conf
file so I added that and restarted the server (not just the service) and
then once the server was back up I started the service (I had the initd
start turned off so I could watch the errors myself) with: service named
start, checking for any errors in log file.  No errors.

So then I went to the newslave box and tried starting the service (with
the above service command).  Then while watching the message log for the
errors connecting to the master...  I instead saw connection complete
messages!  Yeah baby!

Now I tried to recreate this by removing the include entry and
restarting both services on both servers.  But this did not work because
the connection from newslave to newmaster is still working.  I'm not
sure what happened now, but it is working.  I'd really like to know
though.