New problem with wine

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Mon Jan 26 21:50:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 13:49, Guy Fraser wrote:
> This is what I get when I try to run one of my windows apps:
> err:virtual:map_image Standard load address for a Win32 program
> (0x00400000) not available - security-patched kernel ?

How do I get Wine to work:
  http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#Wine

I've found that some programs work fine under Wine.  However, some do
not.  If you need to run a bunch of Windows programs then you may have
to disable the security features.

This also appears to be true for programs like Xine which load Windows
DLLs.  For example, Xine will segfault 9 out of 10 times trying to load
Microsoft's wmv codec DLL.

Disabling exec shield seems to work in some cases (e.g. with Xine):
  echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/