benchmarking FC1

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano.brunetti at fastwebnet.it
Tue Jan 27 16:27:00 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 17:22, Paolo wrote:
> Emiliano Brunetti said:
> > On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 17:03, Paolo wrote:
> >> Emiliano Brunetti said:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> You don't find anything because you don't know what u want to benchmark
> >> ;)
> >
> > Please read previous posts. I need to benchmark 'normal desktop usage',
> > that in such case could be disk I/O, graphic adapter performance and cpu
> > load, all in normal conditions - that is somehow simulating a normal
> > desktop usage (spreadsheet, writing, surfing, emailing, doing a little
> > of graphic stuff).
>
> It was not my intention to be rude, sorry about that.

Never mind. My fault. This is a tough day. Sorry.

> May be I just don't understand what you need,
> if you want to measure the usage of the machine _while_ you use a few
> application then vmstat and top will be your best friends.
> If you want to simulate the desktop usage then I'm totaly lost.

No, this is not viable. I can't be always monitor all those stuff. I was
looking for some kind of tools, even many, to get a overview of system
performance as a desktop system, and be able to *repeat* the measure in
different conditions.

So that i could get a even a very rude view on what is going on by
comparing numbers (raw numbers wouldn't be very meaningful...).

> My suggestion is to manually use the 'common' application
> and monitor the system usage.

Well, it can't be a solution if you should be benchmarking several
boxes... :(

> I really don't know of any benchmark that can be used to measure
> the "speedines" of a graphical enviroment.
>
> I recall it was evend discussed on lkml but I don't think anybody
> had a solution to this problem.

I see.

Thanks a lot, at least i know that my 'art of googling' hasnt' gone
nuts. ;)

Ciao

E.