Disk Layout/Partitioning Practices

Ron Herardian rherardi at gssnet.com
Wed Jan 28 15:01:08 UTC 2004

Hello,

When installing everything and allowing for future updates and packages I am using the following disk layout:

	Mount Point	Size
	/boot		100MB
	/		500MB
	/usr		4GB
	/var		2GB
	swap		2x physical RAM, e.g., 1GB
	/home		TBD, e.g., 1GB per user
        /opt		TBD/catchall [3rd party servers will be installed here]

I want to have enough space on required partitions but not waste space on infrequently modified filesystems where add-on packages will probably not go.

I'd like to get an idea what other folks are doing in terms of disk layouts. What are the best practices?

Ron

--

Global System Services Corporation (GSS)
650 Castro Street, Suite 120, Number 268, Mountain View, CA 94041, USA

"The best way to predict your future is to create it." - Stephen Covey