cups printing problem

Addison C addisonc at vraxx.com
Wed Jan 28 18:50:57 UTC 2004

Jordi Gil wrote:

> I have an hp-5550 DESKJET printer with a printserver at my LAN, I have
> set up my printer and all my windows PC's can print to this printer,
> but I don't know how to setup the printer at my Linux PC, can anybody
> help me? I have the drivers at my linux PC, but I have done something
> wrong because when I set up the printer it doesn't respond me. If I
> try a ping the ip adress responds, so there is phisical conection, the
> problem is with the configuration. Thanks for your help.
>
> Jordi

Hi Jordi,

Main thing is determining which ports you have open and how you're
connecting.  CUPS allows for printing over SMB/Samba, the old JetDirect
Port spec (Port 9100) and good'ol LPR (515).  If the print server is
Windows based be sure you're actually mapping to the SMB share (UNC path
such as \\printserver\printer) and not a port.  If you're attempting to
print to the Windows box via LPR or Port 9100 the server may not have
those ports enabled.

Addison C.