Change password from MD5 to DES.

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 20:09:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 05:56:19PM +0100, GianPiero Puccioni wrote:
> I have installed Fedora on a machine and forgot to uncheck the password
> type so it was installed with MD5, but I need to transfer a password
> file from another machine that used DES and I need both machine to use
> DES.
>
> I changed USEMD5 to "no" in /etc/sysconfig/authconfig and putting DES
> password in the shadow files allows to login but if I use passwd to
> change the password the new one is MD5.
>
> Is it possible to switch to DES without reinstalling everything?

Yes.  The configuration file you modified is only used by authconfig for
tracking settings which it can't deduce by reading the various
configuration files which it writes, so it won't have any effect unless
you re-run authconfig.

You can either re-run authconfig, which should pick up that change and
use it, or you can modify /etc/pam.d/system-auth directly, finding the
line which reads
  password sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok md5 shadow
(or something similar) and removing "md5" from that line.

HTH,

Nalin