Fewer partitions are better (Re: Disk Layout/Partitioning Practices)

dballester at kernpharma.com dballester at kernpharma.com
Thu Jan 29 09:25:02 UTC 2004

Hi:
      I understand your point of view but I disagree with you. I'm sysadmin
and I NEED to have system data and user data in three or more physical
partitions ( at least /boot, / and /where_user-app_data_is ). The reason is
disponibility. I'm totaly agree with LVM and RAM reasons that you exposed
but having all data in / is dangerous.
      Think about a damaged filesystem. In parititioned systems, if the
damaged filesystem is user data or /boot, I can unmount it easily, repair
it, and mount it again. If all system except /boot are in /, I need to
shutdown the machine, startup in 'recovery mode', repair and start machine.
      In this machine, for example we can have, internal dns, dhcp server,
cups ( printing ) and samba server. Using different partitions, samba user
data can be unmounted, and printig, dns and dhcp will not be affected. With
only / I can have all people in company stopped for a while.
      In the other hand, if the computer is for personal use, It's logical
to have all in /, no problem :)

HTH

Regards

David Ballester Montolio
Responsable de Sistemas y Comunicaciones
Kern Pharma, S.L.
www.kernpharma.com

GNU!

|         |           Keith Lofstrom     |
|         |           <keithl at kl-ic.com> |
|         |           Enviado por:       |
|         |           fedora-list-admin at r|
|         |           edhat.com          |
|         |           28/01/2004 19:04   |
|         |           Por favor, responda|
|         |           a fedora-list      |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                             |
  |     Para:     fedora-list at redhat.com                                                                                        |
  |     cc:                                                                                                                     |
  |     Asunto:   Fewer partitions are better (Re: Disk Layout/Partitioning Practices)                                          |

It may be time to rethink multiple partitions.  For legacy reasons,
I build my systems with multiple partitions, but if I had it to do
over again I would probably do it with 3 partitions:

     /boot (because it has to be small)
     swap  (about 2 GB)
     /     (everything else, including multiple drives if LVM)