Migrating from RH6.2 to Fedora

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jan 29 17:56:48 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 29.01.2004 schrieb Jim Carlson um 18:32:
> > Please do NOT hijack foreign threads in future! Sending a new mail (no
> > reply to another mail) use a fresh new mail window. Otherwise you mail
> > contains false references to a not related thread!
>
> My apologies to the "hijack" I was unaware that using reply and deleting the
> contents carried other non visible info.

I guessed that and so replied with this friendly hint. Knowing that and
mailing "correct" makes live with this huge list easier :) Thanks!

> > To your problem: you will need to transfer /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow,
> > /etc/group, /etc/gshadow. Just take the user account data from these
> > files and copy it into the same files on the new system. You can copy
> > the whole /var/spool/mail folder to the new system. Same with the user's
> > home directories. By copying the password file parts you make sure the
> > UIDs and GIDs do not change. The content of the document root of the
> > apache you can copy too.
>

> Are there any issues with regard to password encryption forms that I need to
> insure are configured the same? Or it just simply the copy and I am off and
> running.

The format of the /etc/passwd file and of the shadow file did not change
at least since RH 6.2 - even I think it never changed. But you certainly
make a quick check and compare some entries on the old system and the
new one.

Be sure to just copy the user account entries from the old system to the
files on the new system. After copying the old homedirs to the new
system do a "ls -al /home" to be sure you see the usernames as
owner/group and not just numbers.

I unsure about differences of the authentication process on both systems
just inspect the /etc/pam.d/ directory and files there you may watch. I
for instance you did not use shadow password function on RH 6.2. Then
you would have more work to convert the old auth files to the new FC1
system - just as shadow use with MD5 is highly recommended.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 18:48:28 up 3:36, 7 users, 0.06, 0.08, 0.08
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]