Removing virus

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Thu Jan 29 18:42:47 UTC 2004

As more new users move from Windows to Linux, I think I see an
unexpected PR problem developing.

I can just see the CNN story now:

Users Find Linux Just As Prone To Computer Viruses as Windows

There has been a flurry of concern among users of the Linux Operation
System regarding computer viruses.  (Operation systems are the programs
that make computers 'work'.) Some posters to the Fedora-Core internet
mailing list, frequented by users of the freeware computer program,
have found viruses on their Linux computers, previously thought to be
immune from virus attacks.  Concern has arisen as to how to detect and
remove the malicious 'worms' since antivirus programs, like Norton
Antivirus for Windows do not run on the Linux system.  Many users have
never scanned their machines, believing them to be virus proof.  As an
interim solution, it has been suggested that the users empty their trash
folders and delete infected programs on their machines.