mplayer vs. xine

Brian C. Huffman sheep at graze.net
Fri Jan 30 05:31:28 UTC 2004

I'd like to have a show of hands of who's for xine and who's for
mplayer.  Which one is the better choice for a complete multimedia
solution?  I've used both and have to say that I've had problems with
both.

With xine I've been able to play most all formats with the exception of
Windows media (although I know the codecs are out there). I've gotten
the gxine frontend which includes a plugin for mozilla.  Unfortunately
I've had many many crashes of mozilla / xine when using the plugin.

With mplayer (which I've just recently installed), I've had better
stability (although it has crashed on inline movies), but I don't know
the extent of the formats that it can play.  Also I haven't seen a
frontend to mplayer so far....I assume that one does exist.

Thoughts?  Experiences?

Thanks in advance!
Brian