Can't seem to disable STARTTLS in Fedora sendmail

Adam Lanier adam at krusty.madoff.com
Fri Jan 30 20:15:55 UTC 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:32:19 -0800 (PST), Wayne Johnson <wdtj at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> We have a new Fedora system that is suppose to send it's mail (using
> sendmail, no flames PLEASE!), to smtp.comcast.net.  When we attempt to
> send it from a local account, we get an error back that the user is
> invalid.  Strange, but it works find for mail being relayed from/for
> other windows machines.
[snip]
> il.mc, etc.), but sendmail continues to attempt TLS.
>
> How do I turn TLS off!

This is probably a question better suited to a sendmail mailing
list/newsgroup but...

The sendmail book lists the following mc file directives that relate to
starttls:

define(`CERT_DIR', `/etc/mail/certs')
define(`confCACERT_PATH', `CERT_DIR')
define(`confCACERT', `CERT_DIR`'/cacert.pem')
define(`confSERVER_CERT', `CERT_DIR`'/client.cert.pem')
define(`confSERVER_KEY', `CERT_DIR`'/client.key.pem')
define(`confCLIENT_CERT', `CERT_DIR`'/client.cert.pem')
define(`confCLIENT_KEY', `CERT_DIR`'/client.key.pem')

If any of these are in your sendmail.mc, remove them (or rem them out),
rebuild the sendmail.cf file (with the command: m4 sendmail.mc >
sendmail.cf) and restart sendmail.

--
Adam Lanier
Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC