"ntpdate" versus "ntpd"

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Fri Jan 30 22:04:26 UTC 2004

Hello Robert,

> but this raises the obvious question -- is there a way to
> invoke "ntpd" to emulate nptdate's one-time, sync-my-clock-RFN!!
> behaviour, strictly from the command line, without resorting to messing
> with /etc/ntp.conf?

I don't really see your problem. Sure it probably would be nicer if you
could specify a server and some parameters on the command line, but
configuring ntpd is not much more than specifying one or more servers,
setting poll intervals (+ iburst) and some network restrictions. And you
only have to do it once. Need an example? (Fill in iburst on the server
line I presume, and if you want instant syncing maybe decrease minpoll):

restrict default ignore
restrict 127.0.0.1
# Amsterdam, stratum 1, open access, ntp1.nl.net
restrict 193.79.237.14     mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
server   193.79.237.14     minpoll 8 maxpoll 12
authenticate no

You can probably forget about:
restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift # useless if you use ntpdate
broadcastdelay  0.008 # not really sure about this option but it is in
                      # the config file by default these days

So no, ntpd is not exactly ntpdate, but it's behaviour can be mimicked
by creating a config file once. Then you can run ntpd -q from the
command line (as root) whenever you like.

By the way, did you manage to get that Linksys PC card going?

Bye,
Leonard.