Metacity

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Fri Jan 30 22:07:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 18:56, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
> >>* maximize-vertical
> > Main Menu -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts
>
> No such option exists in that menu.

It should look like this when Metacity is running:
http://webaugur.com/bibliotheca/linux/gnome-keybinding-properties.png

> > Select the Current Session tab.  Highlight metacity and click the remove
> > button.  Click the Apply button.  Main Menu -> Run and type whatever
> > command starts the window manager you prefer.  Once its running select
> > it in the Session manager, change Style to Restart, and click the apply
> > button.
>
> Have you actually tried this? I tried to switch someone to sawfish in
> this manner.

Yes.

> First problem: you have to set metacity to not be automatically
> restarted

It won't restart if you highlight metacity, click remove, click apply.
Metacity is removed from session management and killed.  Then run
sawfish.  sawfish will appear in the session management listing.
Highlight sawfish, change the style to Restart, and click apply.  I just
switched between Metacity and Sawfish 3 times like I described to make
sure its consistent.  I also killed sawfish to make sure it restarts.

The main annoyance is that the run dialog won't always get focus without
a window manager running.  This prevents you from typing the "sawfish"
command.  (You can click the "Run with file" button and navigate to
/usr/bin/sawfish or /usr/bin/metacity.)  I suppose you could start the
run dialog first, type the command, remove the window manager, then
click OK on the run dialog.

Also, gnome-session only works with window managers that support session
management.  For example, you can't swap out metacity for kwin or twm
using this method.  (But you can remove metacity and start kwin or twm
on the startup tab.  I just did this with kwin to see if it would
work.)  I just discovered that switching twm turns out to be a horrible
mistake when running GNOME.  ;-)

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/