Intel i865 video adapter

Norman Gaywood norm at turing.une.edu.au
Fri Jan 30 23:56:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 03:50:11PM -0500, Chris Purcell wrote:
> I'm running Fedora on a Dell Optiplex SX270.  I'm having a problem with
> the video adapter (Intel 865) where I can't get it to use any resolution
> higher than 640x480.  I know that there are known issue's with the Intel
> i845 and i865 chipsets, but I was able to get around this problem on the
> Optiplex SX260 using the i845 chipset.  In the BIOS, I set the video
> buffer RAM to 8MB (from 1MB) and it fixed the issue.  The SX270 uses the
> Intel 865 video card, and the BIOS fix doesn't seem to do anything with
> this card. Is there anything else that I can try to get Linux going on the
> SX270?

Probably a buggy Dell BIOS. Downgrading the BIOS to A02 solved this
problem for me.

There is some discussion about this here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/118623

--
Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science

norm at turing.une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 2412
http://turing.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312